Coconut Monk’s – Nguyen Thanh Nam was born on December 25, year of the Rooster (birth certificate is on April 22, 1910), in Phuoc Thanh commune, An Hoa district, Truc Giang district, Kien Hoa province (now part of An Hoa province. Chau Thanh District, Ben Tre Province).He was born and raised in a rich and powerful family. Her mother is Mrs. Le Thi Sen. His father is Mr. Nguyen Thanh Truc – a former general during the French colonial period from 1940 to 1944, who ruled with three wives and Nguyen Thanh Nam was the son of the first wife. So he was spared enjoy a lot of benefits, and are also given the opportunity to study abroad in France.
In 1945, these were the five major turning points in Nguyen Thanh Nam’s life, the early stage of the formation of Coconut Monk’s On the 3rd of September, the year of the Rooster (1945), he took refuge with the Most Venerable Thich Hong Toi at An Son Pagoda – Tuong Mountain in the Seven Mountains, Chau Doc, An Giang.
From 1945 onwards, the name Coconut Monk’s is often mentioned by everyone. Because during his religious practice, Uncle Hai only ate fruit and drank Siamese coconut water. Nguyen Thanh Nam also once said that: “For 25 years the poor religion does not drink living water or rain water, only drinks Siamese coconut water and sugarcane juice”. He even used coconut water to wash fruits and vegetables, the “Dai Bat Quai” that he first built 14 meters high in Phuoc Thanh commune is also made of coconut. People often called Coconut Monk’s from that time. After practicing in the mountains, he returned and began to spread his way of practicing. In 1948, in Dinh Tuong (Tien Giang) he meditated in many places from the riverbank to the front porch…despite people passing by.
In the 1950s, it was common to see Uncle Hai wearing only a thin shirt, sitting in silence day and night on the “Dai Bat Quai” and bathing only once a year on Buddha’s birthday (8-4 AL). He also bought small barges and two passenger ships to facilitate the practice of religion as well as bringing in followers. Due to the fluctuations of the times, in 1963, Cau Hai moved the entire facility to the eastern tip of Con Phung (in Tan Thach-Chau Thanh commune) near the old Rach Mieu ferry terminal. Here he built the Nam Quoc Phat pagoda – including the The Nine Tripod Cauldrons Dragon yard, the Apollo spaceship, the S-shaped map, the Peace Bell Tower, the That Son area… He also bought a large 3-storey barge. , on which there are radio towers, guest houses, flower gardens… And from here, Cardinal Nguyen Thanh Nam began his days of spreading his religious thought.
There was a time when there was a stir in public opinion about a monk applying for the presidential nomination of the South in the late 1960s. And, Nguyen Thanh Nam, a “real” Coconut Dao monk, volunteered to run for the presidency in order to win the election. The only purpose is to bring peace to the nation and save humanity. With the slogan “National Alliance for Peace and Reunification”, Uncle Hai made a firm commitment that: “If elected President , he will bring peace to Vietnam and Indochina within 7 days”, then “The new President will resign”. Coconut Monk’s said this to prove that he was not a “bare” man who was infatuated with power, but Uncle Hai was a living saint who appeared to save the nation, after completing this noble task, he would come out. Go.
Coconut Monk’s operated very “actively” in the years 1945 to 1975. However, since peace was restored (1975), Coconut Monk’s was banned from operating. Until 1990, Coconut Monk’s passed away (in Ward 5-My Tho City). Since that time, there are no followers of this religion anymore. Coconut Monk’s also ends there.